Stuffed Pork Chops with Apples and Walnuts
tablespoon butter or margarine
large cooking apple, peeled if desired, cored, and chopped
cup chopped onion
tablespoons shredded white cheddar cheese
pork rib chops, pork loin chops, or boneless loin chops, cut 1-1/4 inches thick (about 3 pounds)
Ground black pepper
cup coarse soft crumbs from crusty country bread
tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
tablespoons chopped walnuts
tablespoon snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
tablespoons butter or margarine
Dash ground black pepper
cup chicken broth
cup whipping cream
tablespoons apple juice
cup shredded white cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. For stuffing, in a medium skillet melt the 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add apple, onion, and sage; cook until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in the 2 tablespoons cheese; set aside.
- Trim fat from chops. Make a pocket in each chop by cutting horizontally from the fat side almost to the bone or the opposite side. Divide stuffing among pockets in chops. If necessary, secure openings with wooden toothpicks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, the 2 tablespoons melted butter, the walnuts, parsley, and lemon peel. Place chops on a rack in 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Top chops with bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of chops registers 160 degrees F and juices run clear.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan melt the 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, the dash pepper, the chicken broth, whipping cream, and apple juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in the 1/2 cup cheese until melted and smooth. Serve chops with sauce.
Nutrition Facts(Stuffed Pork Chops with Apples and Walnuts)
- Per serving:
- 702 kcal cal.,
- 49 g fat
- (25 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 15 g monounsatured fat),
- 157 mg chol.,
- 995 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet