A classic baked apple dessert, only done in a slow cooker. Play around with the spices and dried fruit options until you find your favorite mix.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Slow Cook: 5 hrs (low) or 2-1/2 hours (high)
medium tart baking apples (such as Granny Smith)
cup snipped dried figs or raisins
cup packed brown sugar
teaspoon apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
cup apple juice
tablespoon butter or margarine, cut into four pieces
- Core apples; cut a strip of peel from the top of each apple. Place apples, top sides up, in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine figs, brown sugar, and apple pie spice. Spoon mixture into centers of apples, patting in with a knife or narrow metal spatula. Pour apple juice around apples in cooker. Top each apple with a piece of butter.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 hours.
- Using a large spoon, transfer apples to dessert dishes. Spoon some of the cooking liquid over apples. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Stuffed Apples)
- Per serving:
- 200 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 8 mg chol.,
- 31 mg sodium,
- 45 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet