- Snip any large pieces of fruit in the strawberry preserves. In a large bowl beat butter, strawberry preserves, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Transfer butter mixture to a sheet of plastic wrap; shape mixture into a 6-inch log. Wrap and freeze for 1 to 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Add butter mixture, breaking or cutting log if necessary to fit in bowl. Cut butter mixture into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling together. Knead dough until smooth; form dough into a ball. (Dough will eventually come together during kneading from the warmth of your hands.)
- Divide dough in half. Roll each portion of dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out dough rounds or squares with a scalloped-edge 1-1/2- to 2-inch cookie cutter. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes for 1-1/2-inch cookies or 14 to 16 minutes for 2-inch cookies or until edges just start to brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely. Spread tops of cookies with Strawberry Glaze; if desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar. Let stand until set.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in layers separated by pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies, if frozen, before serving.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave strawberry preserves on 50 percent power about 30 seconds or until melted; snip any large pieces in the preserves. Stir in powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon milk using a wire whisk. Stir in enough additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a smooth glaze of spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Strawberry Shortbread)
- Per serving:
- 84 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 9 mg chol.,
- 31 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Shirley Walker 238 Days Ago
Any simple Glaze recipe will work. Misprints can happen
Sharon Birdsong 1121 Days Ago
True that the wrong glaze ingredients are listed. However it's in the video. 1 T strawberry preserves, 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 T milk plus enough additional milk needed to thin the glaze.
Katie Norman 1121 Days Ago
Where are the glaze ingredients??
Pat Laster 1121 Days Ago
The glaze ingredients are a copy of the cookie ingredients....