- Yields: about 54 2-inch cookies or 108 1-1/2-inch cookies
- Prep: 45 mins
- Freeze: 1 hr
- Bake: 12 mins 325°F per batch
- Snip any large pieces of fruit in the strawberry preserves. In a large bowl beat butter, strawberry preserves, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Transfer butter mixture to a sheet of plastic wrap; shape mixture into a 6-inch log. Wrap and freeze for 1 to 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Add butter mixture, breaking or cutting log if necessary to fit in bowl. Cut butter mixture into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling together. Knead dough until smooth; form dough into a ball. (Dough will eventually come together during kneading from the warmth of your hands.)
- Divide dough in half. Roll each portion of dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out dough rounds or squares with a scalloped-edge 1-1/2- to 2-inch cookie cutter. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes for 1-1/2-inch cookies or 14 to 16 minutes for 2-inch cookies or until edges just start to brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely. Spread tops of cookies with Strawberry Glaze; if desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar. Let stand until set.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in layers separated by pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies, if frozen, before serving.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave strawberry preserves on 50 percent power about 30 seconds or until melted; snip any large pieces in the preserves. Stir in powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon milk using a wire whisk. Stir in enough additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a smooth glaze of spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Strawberry Shortbread)
- Per serving:
- 84 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 9 mg chol.,
- 31 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet