Stout Gingerbread with Lemony Hard Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously coat a 10-inch fluted tube pan with nonstick spray for baking. Pour beer into a measuring cup and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. In a medium bowl stir together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cardamom; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in molasses and grated ginger. Alternately add flour mixture and beer in three additions, beating on medium speed just until combined after each addition.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm with Lemony Hard Sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
The Lemony Hard Sauce is best if chilled for 24 hours before serving.
Lemony Hard Sauce
- In a medium bowl beat butter, with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar, lemon or orange liqueur, finely shredded lemon or orange peel, and vanilla until smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Stout Gingerbread with Lemony Hard Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 496 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 104 mg chol.,
- 366 mg sodium,
- 73 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 45 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet