Stout, Beef and Cabbage Stir-Fry
ounces extra-stout beer
tablespoons tomato paste
tablespoon brown mustard
teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 inch wedges cabbage
cup peeled baby carrots, cut in 1/2-inch chunks
tablespoons olive oil
pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
small onion, halved and thinly sliced
Fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves (optional)
- In a medium bowl whisk together beer, honey, tomato paste, mustard, caraway seed, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- Place cabbage and carrots in a 2-quart baking dish; add 2 Tbsp. water. Microwave, covered, on 100% power (high) for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once. Set aside; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a very large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef. Cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes or until just slightly pink in the center. Remove beef from skillet; keep warm.
- Add onions to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Pour beer mixture mixture into skillet. In a small bowl stir together the 2 Tbsp. water and flour; stir into onion and beer mixture. Return beef to skillet; cook and stir 3 minutes or until bubbling.
- Serve beef mixture with cabbage wedges and carrots. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
Serve over mashed potatoes or brown rice.
Nutrition Facts(Stout, Beef and Cabbage Stir-Fry)
- Per serving:
- 365 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 68 mg chol.,
- 532 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 17 g sugar,
- 29 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet