Vegetable Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine squash, mushrooms, undrained tomatoes, Great Northern beans, the water, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, parsley, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and oil. Add to the flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir frozen green beans into stew. Drop the dumpling dough into six mounds on top of the stew. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook for 50 minutes more. (Do not lift lid while dumplings are cooking.) Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Vegetable Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 288 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 37 mg chol.,
- 442 mg sodium,
- 45 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Sara Rusek 641 Days Ago
This is incorrect. A vegetarian will eat cheese just NOT cheese made with animal rennet. Animal rennet comes from the stomach lining of animals. The animal must be dead to get the lining. Vegetarians eat foods produced by living animals, not dead ones. Therefore, if the Parmesan cheese being used contains animal rennet then it is not a vegetarian dish. However, if you use Parmesan that is made with vegetable or microbial rennet then it is vegetarian.
Bob Smith 855 Days Ago
some Parmesan is vegetarian and some isn't. You have to look for an ingredient called rennet - if it's in there, it's not vegetarian - it comes from a cow's stomach lining. If it's microbial rennet however, that is vegetarian. making this recipe right now...i'll let you know how it is!
Shauna Fessler 1403 Days Ago
WARNING: parmesan is NOT vegetarian. With the parm in there, this dish should not be on this list. Leave it out, and all is well.