cup chopped onion
leek, cleaned and chopped
cups loose-pack frozen whole kernel corn
14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
medium red sweet pepper, chopped
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon cayenne pepper
Snipped fresh chives and/or ground black pepper (optional)
- Coat a 4-quart Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium for 1 minute. Add onion and leek; cook 5 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn; cook 5 minutes or until corn softens, stirring occasionally. Add one can of the chicken broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until corn is very tender. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Transfer half the corn mixture to a blender or food processor; cover and blend or process until smooth. Return pureed corn mixture to Dutch oven.
- Add remaining broth, the sweet pepper, 1/8 tsp. black pepper, cayenne pepper, and saffron. Heat through. Top with snipped fresh chives and/or additional ground black pepper. Makes 6 (1-1/3-cup) servings.
Nutrition Facts(Pepper-Corn Chowder)
- Per serving:
- 155 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 323 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet