Lamb and Vegetable Stew
pound lean boneless lamb, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
tablespoon cooking oil
14 ounce can beef broth
cup dry red wine or beef broth
cloves garlic, minced
cups cubed, peeled butternut squash
cup 1/2-inch slices peeled parsnip
cup chopped, peeled sweet potato
cup sliced celery (2 stalks)
medium onion, cut into thin wedges
cup plain low-fat yogurt or dairy sour cream
- In a large saucepan brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil; drain fat. Return all meat to pan. Stir in broth, wine, dried thyme (if using), garlic, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in squash, parsnip, sweet potato, celery, and onion. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
- In a small bowl combine yogurt, fresh thyme (if using), and flour. Stir 1/2 cup of the hot liquid into the yogurt mixture. Add yogurt mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Makes 5 servings (about 8 cups)
Nutrition Facts(Lamb and Vegetable Stew)
- Per serving:
- 365 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 75 mg chol.,
- 397 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet