- Yields: 4 servings + reserves
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 9 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4.5-5 hours (high)
Garbanzo Bean Stew
15 ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
pound red-skin potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 medium)
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoons cumin seed, toasted
teaspoon cayenne pepper
14 ounce cans vegetable broth
- In a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker, stir together garbanzo beans, potatoes, undrained tomatoes, sweet pepper, onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the cumin seed, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Pour broth over bean mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours. Reserve 4 cups of the stew; store as directed below. Sprinkle servings of remaining stew with remaining cumin seed. Makes 4 servings and reserves.
From the Test Kitchen
To store reserves:
Place stew in an airtight container. Seal and chill for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Garbanzo Bean Stew)
- Per serving:
- 245 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 1251 mg sodium,
- 46 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet