- Makes: 4 servings
- Yields: 4 servings + reserves
- Prep: 25 mins
- Slow Cook: 9 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 1/2 to 5 hours (high)
- In a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker, stir together garbanzo beans, potatoes, undrained tomatoes, sweet pepper, onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the cumin seed, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Pour broth over bean mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Reserve 4 cups of the stew; store* as directed below. Use with Falafel-Style Patties with Tahini Sauce (see recipe below). Sprinkle servings of remaining stew with remaining cumin seed. Makes 4 servings + reserves.
Place stew in an airtight container. Seal and chill for up to 3 days.
Drain liquid from reserved stew; discard liquid. In a medium bowl, mash stew with a potato masher. Stir in 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs. Shape bean mixture into eight patties, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties, four at a time, in hot oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain patties on paper towels. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt; 1 tablespoon tahini; and 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped seeded cucumber and season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Serve patties with tahini sauce, 2 pita bread rounds, halved crosswise; 1/2 cup chopped tomato; and 1 cup shredded arugula leaves or shredded lettuce. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving of Falafel-Style Patties with Tahini Sauce: 364 cal., 11 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 1 mg chol., 1126 mg sodium, 54 g carb., 7 g dietary fiber, 12 g protein.
- Per serving:
- 245 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- 1251 mg sodium,
- 46 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet