Country Bean Stew
A trio of meats -- lamb, Italian sausage, and ham -- make this tomato and bean stew filling and satisfying.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Cook: 7 hrs to 8 hrs (low) or 3-1/2 to 4 hours (high)
Country Bean Stew
cups dry Great Northern beans
large carrots, coarsely chopped
ounces lean boneless lamb, cut into cubes
ounces bulk Italian sausage
medium onions, coarsely chopped
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
cup dry red wine
cup tomato paste (1/2 of a 6-ounce can)
cup cubed cooked ham
cup snipped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, combine the 6 cups water and the dry beans. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans; rinse with cold water and drain again.
- In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine beans and carrots. In a large skillet, cook lamb, sausage, onions, and garlic over medium heat until sausage is brown, breaking up sausage as it cooks. Drain off fat. Transfer meat mixture to cooker. Stir in the 3 cups water, the bouillon granules, thyme, and oregano.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
- In a small bowl, stir wine into tomato paste; add to mixture in cooker along with ham and parsley. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Country Bean Stew)
- Per serving:
- 470 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 69 mg chol.,
- 732 mg sodium,
- 51 g carb.,
- 15 g fiber,
- 35 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesDinner Recipes, Healthy Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Recipes, Heart Healthy Dinners, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Lamb Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Pork Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Seasonal Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Soup Recipes, Stew and Chowder Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes