- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 15 mins to 20 mins 425°F
Squash and Sausage Shepherds Pie
Nonstick cooking spray
pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
cup grated Parmesan cheese
teaspoon ground black pepper
pound sweet Italian sausage or lean ground beef (85%)
tablespoon olive oil
medium onion, chopped
8 ounce package sliced fresh mushrooms
cloves garlic, minced
cup reduced-sodium beef broth
28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (about 1 1/2 cups)
tablespoon snipped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
cup frozen peas and carrots
Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
Sliced green onion (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat six 10 to 12-ounce individual casseroles with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven cook squash in lightly salted boiling water, covered, for 15 to 17 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain; return to Dutch oven. Mash with butter, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon until no longer pink. Transfer meat to a colander; drain well. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
- In the skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes more. Stir in broth, crushed tomatoes, rosemary, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in meat, peas and carrots, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 2 minutes. Divide mixture among prepared dishes. Spread top with butternut squash. Place on a large baking sheet.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned. If desired, top with shaved Parmesan and sliced green onion. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Squash and Sausage Shepherds Pie)
- Per serving:
- 372 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 51 mg chol.,
- 1146 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesCasseroles, Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Recipes, Heart Healthy Dinners, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Cholesterol Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Pork Recipes, Quiche Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes