Pan Toasted Angel Food Cake with Vanilla Custard
- Separate egg whites and yolks; set aside. With vegetable peeler, remove peel from lemon in long strips and place in medium saucepan. Juice lemon into a separate small saucepan and set aside.
- Combine half-and-half and sugar with lemon peel. Cook over medium-low heat just until mixture comes to simmer. Whisk egg yolks in large bowl; slowly whisk in half-and-half mixture. Pour mixture through fine mesh sieve back into pan to remove peel. Cook and stir gently over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes or until mixture just begins to thicken and bubble. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Quickly cool custard by placing the saucepan in a large bowl of ice water for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Transfer to a bowl. Cover; set aside.
- In shallow dish whisk together egg whites, cinnamon, and salt. In 12-inch nonstick skillet heat butter over medium heat. Dip cut sides of cake into egg mixture; add to skillet in 2 batches. Brown about 2 to 3 minutes per side; set aside.
- Add apricot preserves to lemon juice in small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until preserves are melted.
- To serve, pour some of the vanilla custard onto a plate or in a shallow bowl. Top with cake, preserves, lemon peel, and mint. Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Pan Toasted Angel Food Cake with Vanilla Custard)
- Per serving:
- 274 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 108 mg chol.,
- 299 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 28 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet