Citrus Angel Cake
You can vary the flavor of this dessert cake by using a different kind of frozen juice concentrate.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 40 mins to 45 mins 350°F
- Stand: 30 mins
Citrus Angel Cake
cups egg whites (10 to 12)
cups sifted powdered sugar
cup sifted cake flour or sifted all-purpose flour
teaspoon cream of tartar
tablespoons frozen juice concentrate (limeade, lemonade, or orange juice), thawed
cup granulated sugar
- In a covered large bowl, let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift the powdered sugar and flour together three times; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites in bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add juice concentrate. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over beaten egg white mixture; fold in gently. (If the bowl is too full, transfer mixture to a larger bowl.) Repeat, folding in the remaining flour mixture by fourths.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan; spread evenly. Bake on the lowest oven rack for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake (leave in pan); cool thoroughly. (If the cake has risen higher than the pan, invert it over a jar or bottle so the top of the cake does not touch the countertop.)
- To serve, loosen side and center from pan with a narrow spatula; remove cake. Using a serrated knife, cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts (Citrus Angel Cake)
- 152 kcal cal.;
- 0 g Fat, total;
- 0 mg chol.;
- 0 g sat. fat;
- 34 g carb.;
- 0 g fiber;
- 4 g pro.;
- 51 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet