Citrus Angel Cake
You can vary the flavor of this dessert cake by using a different kind of frozen juice concentrate.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 40 mins to 45 mins 350°F
- Stand: 30 mins
Citrus Angel Cake
cups egg whites (10 to 12)
cups sifted powdered sugar
teaspoon cream of tartar
tablespoons frozen juice concentrate (limeade, lemonade, or orange juice), thawed
cup granulated sugar
- In a covered large bowl, let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift the powdered sugar and flour together three times; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites in bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add juice concentrate. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over beaten egg white mixture; fold in gently. (If the bowl is too full, transfer mixture to a larger bowl.) Repeat, folding in the remaining flour mixture by fourths.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan; spread evenly. Bake on the lowest oven rack for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake (leave in pan); cool thoroughly. (If the cake has risen higher than the pan, invert it over a jar or bottle so the top of the cake does not touch the countertop.)
- To serve, loosen side and center from pan with a narrow spatula; remove cake. Using a serrated knife, cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts (Citrus Angel Cake)
- Per serving:
- 152 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 51 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet