Angel's Food Cake
- In a large wide bowl* allow egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sift the Vanilla Bean-Verbena Sugar once and set aside. Sift the flour and almond flour together four times, then add the salt and cream of tartar. Sift once more.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Slowly and gently add Vanilla Bean-Verbena Sugar, followed immediately by the sifted flour mixture.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan with removable bottom, or 10-inch fluted tube pan (be sure pan is very clean with no residual oil).
- Place in oven; close door. Increase oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Do not open oven for at least the first 15 minutes of cooking. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Immediately invert cake; cool thoroughly in inverted pan. Remover from pan, using thin knife to loosen cake if necessary. Makes 1 cake or 16 slices.
From the Test Kitchen
It is important to use a large wide bowl to whisk the egg whites. More surface area allows the sugar and flour to be gradually added without overbeating.
Nutrition Facts (Angel's Food Cake)
- Per serving:
- 138 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- 74 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 22 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet