- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 16 ounce package angel food cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 4 cup (2 pints) strawberry ice cream, softened
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup small, whole strawberries
1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions using the 1 1/4 cups water. Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter to remove any large air pockets.
2. Bake according to package directions. Immediately invert cake; cool thoroughly in pan. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove cake.
3. With a serrated knife, carefully split the cake horizontally into 3 layers. Place the bottom layer and middle layers on freezer-safe platters; spread each layer with 2 cups softened ice cream. Freeze layers for 30 to 60 minutes or until ice cream is firm. Place the middle layer, ice cream side up, on top of the bottom layer. Top with the remaining cake layer. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 6 to 24 hours.
4. To serve, in chilled mixing bowl beat whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
5. Remove cake from freezer. Spread top and sides of frozen cake with whipped cream. Garnish with fresh strawberries. Serve immediately. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
- Prepare as above, except add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to cake mix. Substitute peppermint ice cream for strawberry ice cream. Spread 1/4 cup fudge ice cream topping on the top of each of the ice cream layers. Substitute 2 to 3 tablespoons coarsely crushed peppermint candies for fresh strawberries.
- Per serving: 524 cal., 26 g total fat (16 g sat. fat), 91 mg chol., 450 mg sodium, 66 g carbo., 8 g pro.
- Daily Values: 14% vit. A, 16% calcium, 2% iron
- Exchanges: 4 1/2 Other Carbo., 5 Fat
- Prepare as above, except substitute 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate for the 1/4 cup of the water and add 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel to cake mix. Substitute orange, lime, lemon, or rainbow sherbet for the strawberry ice cream. Garnish with orange, lemon, or lime peel strips instead of strawberries.
- Per serving: 435 cal., 19 g total fat (12 g sat. fat), 66 mg chol., 349 mg sodium, 62 g carbo., 5 g pro.
- Daily Values: 15% vit. A, 25 vit. C, 12% calcium, 1% iron
- Exchanges: 4 Other Carbo., 3 1/2 Fat
- Servings Per Recipe 10,
- cal. (kcal) 543,
- Fat, total (g) 31,
- chol. (mg) 142,
- sat. fat (g) 19,
- carb. (g) 61,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 5,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 41,
- pro. (g) 8,
- vit. A (IU) 1069,
- vit. C (mg) 14,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 0,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 44,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 374,
- Potassium (mg) 140,
- calcium (mg) 202,
- iron (mg) 0,
- Other Carb () 4,
- Fat () 6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet