- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (10 to 12 large)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour or sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
1. In a very large mixing bowl allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar and flour together 3 times; set aside.
2. Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight) .
3. Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. (If bowl is too full, transfer to a larger bowl.) Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture by fourths. Pour into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter to remove any large air pockets.
4. Bake on the lowest rack in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake (leave in pan); cool thoroughly. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove cake. Makes 12 servings.
- Prepare as above, except sift 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder with the flour-powdered sugar mixture.
- Prepare as above, except after beating egg whites to soft peaks, gradually pour 1/4 cup honey in a thin stream over the egg white mixture. Continue as above, except beat only 1/2 cup sugar into the egg whites.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- cal. (kcal) 161,
- carb. (g) 36,
- sugar (g) 27,
- pro. (g) 4,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 16,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 51,
- Potassium (mg) 116,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Other Carb () 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet