Angel Food Cake
- In a very large mixing bowl allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar and flour together 3 times; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight) .
- Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. (If bowl is too full, transfer to a larger bowl.) Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture by fourths. Pour into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter to remove any large air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest rack in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake (leave in pan); cool thoroughly. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove cake. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except sift 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder with the flour-powdered sugar mixture.
Prepare as above, except after beating egg whites to soft peaks, gradually pour 1/4 cup honey in a thin stream over the egg white mixture. Continue as above, except beat only 1/2 cup sugar into the egg whites.
Nutrition Facts(Angel Food Cake)
- Per serving:
- 161 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 51 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 27 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet