Spinach Salad with Indian-Spiced Garbanzos, Apricots, and Onions
cup olive oil
cloves garlic, minced
ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
tablespoons lemon juice
teaspoons packed brown sugar
teaspoons ground cumin
teaspoons garam masala
teaspoon ground coriander
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon cayenne pepper
5 ounce packages fresh baby spinach
cup dried apricots, cut into thin slices
recipe Toasted Pappadams (optional)
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat. Add garbanzo beans, lemon juice, brown sugar, cumin, garam masala, coriander, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Bring mixture just to a simmer. Remove from heat; cover skillet. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine spinach, apricots, and red onion. Toss well. Add warm garbanzo bean mixture; toss well to combine.
- Divide mixture among six dinner plates. If desired, garnish with broken pieces of Toasted Pappadams. Serve immediately.
7-inch plain pappadams
- Preheat broiler to high. Arrange pappadams in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil pappadams 6-inches from heat for 15 to 30 seconds or until they bubble and turn golden on one side. Using tongs, gently turn pappadams; broil about 5 seconds or until bubbly and golden on the other side. Remove pappadams from oven and let cool. Break each pappadam into 5 or 6 pieces.
Nutrition Facts(Spinach Salad with Indian-Spiced Garbanzos, Apricots, and Onions)
- Per serving:
- 339 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 325 mg sodium,
- 53 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 22 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet