Creamy and wholesome, this so-simple risotto skips stirring in favor of slow cooking.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 4 hrs to 5 hrs (low) or 2 to 2 1/2 hours (high)
- Coat a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In the prepared cooker combine uncooked rice, sweet pepper, and salt. Pour the water over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until rice is tender.
- Stir spinach, basil, pine nuts, oil, lemon peel, and garlic into mixture in cooker until spinach is wilted. If desired, top with cheese. Serve with a piece of grilled chicken or fish, or increase the portion slightly for a main-dish meal.
From the Test Kitchen
To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and stirring once or twice.
Nutrition Facts (Spinach-Basil Risotto)
- Per serving:
- 156 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 184 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet