Upload your photo here.
Spicy Sausage, Mushroom, and Polenta Bake
- In a large skillet cook sausage, 2 cloves minced garlic, and the jalapeno, if using, over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink. Drain fat. Stir in marinara sauce. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In another large skillet cook mushrooms, onions, 2 cloves minced garlic, and the rosemary in hot oil over medium heat until mushrooms release their liquid and liquid evaporates, leaving mixture almost dry. Stir in whipping cream, wine, and salt. Cook over low heat about 10 minutes or until mixture is reduced to a thick, creamy consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart oval or rectangular baking dish. Spread half of the sausage mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan bring chicken broth, the water, and the Italian seasoning to boiling. Add polenta in a slow, steady stream, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 1 minute or until polenta is thickened, stirring constantly.
- Working quickly, evenly spread half of the cooked polenta over the sausage in the baking dish. Add the mushroom mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle half of the provolone cheese over the mushroom mixture. Quickly spread the remaining polenta over top as evenly as possible. Top polenta with the remaining sausage mixture and remaining cheese.
- Cover with a sheet of greased foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Sausage, Mushroom, and Polenta Bake)
- Per serving:
- 575 kcal cal.,
- 36 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 14 g monounsatured fat),
- 86 mg chol.,
- 1621 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet