Spicy Grits and Greens Sausage Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat six 10-ounce ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray; arrange in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. (Or coat a 9- to 10-inch deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray.) Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add sausage; cook until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up sausage as it cooks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a small bowl; set aside.
- Add onion and the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. Cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring and scraping up browned bits occasionally. Add the water, chile pepper, salt, and black pepper to skillet. Bring to boiling. Gradually stir in grits; stir in kale. Reduce heat to low. Cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream. Spoon mixture evenly into prepared ramekins or pie plate. Top with sausage and sweet pepper strips. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Grits and Greens Sausage Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 252 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 41 mg chol.,
- 370 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet