Spicy Barbecue Sauce
- Remove stem ends and cores from tomatoes. Cut tomatoes into quarters. Place tomato quarters in a 10- to 12-quart stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy pot. Cook, covered, over low to medium heat about 15 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Stir in onions, celery, sweet peppers, jalapeno peppers, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Press tomato mixture through a food mill. Discard seeds and skins. Measure 19 cups tomato mixture; return to pot. Measure the depth of the mixture with a ruler. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until mixture is reduced by half, stirring occasionally. (Measure depth again with a ruler; should be half of original depth.)
- Stir in vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, dry mustard, paprika, and black pepper. Simmer, uncovered, about 1 hour more or until mixture reaches desired consistency, stirring frequently.
- Ladle hot sauce into hot sterilized half-pint and/or pint canning jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 20 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks. Makes 5 half-pints.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Place pot containing sauce in a sink filled with ice water; stir mixture to cool. Ladle sauce into wide-top freezer containers, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and label. Freeze for up to 10 months.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Barbecue Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 38 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 142 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet