Spiced Pomegranate-Apple Cider
pasteurized apple cider or apple juice
16 ounce bottles pomegranate juice or 4 cups cranberry juice
cup maple syrup or packed brown sugar
fresh kumquats, halved, or 6 3x1-inch thin orange peel strips
inches stick cinnamon, broken
cardamom pods, lightly crushed to expose seeds
Thinly sliced apple, fresh kumquats and/or cinnamon sticks (optional)
- In a large Dutch oven or kettle, combine cider, pomegranate or cranberry juice, and maple syrup or brown sugar.
- For spice bag, cut a double thickness of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth into a 12-inch square. Place the halved kumquats or orange peel, 16 inches stick cinnamon, cardamom pods, and cloves in center of cloth. Bring the corners of cloth together and tie closed with clean kitchen string. Add spice bag to cider mixture.
- Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove spice bag and discard.
- To serve, ladle cider into mugs. If desired, garnish with additional sliced apple, kumquats and/or cinnamon sticks.
Nutrition Facts(Spiced Pomegranate-Apple Cider)
- Per serving:
- 114 kcal cal.,
- 5 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet