- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 1 hr 30 mins 350°
Spiced Plum Pie
large dark plums, pitted and cut into quarters (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)
cup packed brown sugar
tablespoons chopped candied ginger
teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground nutmeg
teaspoon ground cloves
tablespoon vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare Piecrust. Divide pastry in half; form halves into balls. Wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- For plum filling, in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven combine plums with 1/2 cup water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; drain well. Return plums to Dutch oven. In a small bowl stir together brown sugar, cornstarch, candied ginger, orange peel, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves; add to plums in the Dutch oven. Add vanilla. Toss gently to combine.
- For bottom crust, on a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten one pastry ball. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle 12 inches in diameter, about 1/8-inch thick. Transfer to a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate without stretching. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. In a small bowl stir together sugar and 1 Tbsp. cornstarch; sprinkle over dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- For top crust, roll remaining ball into a 12-inch-diameter circle or large rectangle. Use a lattice roller to roll through dough. Remove bottom crust from refrigerator; spoon in filling. Cover with lattice crust; trim edges. Crimp or decorate edge as desired. Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp. water; brush on top crust. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place a foil-lined baking sheet on the rack below the pie in the oven. Bake pie 1-1/2 to 1 3/4 hours until filling is thick and bubbly and crust is golden brown. (If after 1 hour crust is already golden, gently cover with aluminum foil for remaining baking time.) Cool on a wire rack.
cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled in the freezer about 10 minutes
cup ice water (or 1/4 cup ice water and 1/4 cup chilled vodka)
teaspoon lemon juice
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, pulse together all-purpose flour, butter, sugar, and salt until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. In a small bowl whisk together ice-cold water (or 1/4 cup each vodka* and water) and lemon juice. Slowly add to the flour mixture, pulsing until dough just comes together. Squeeze a small piece of dough between your thumb and index finger to make sure it holds its shape. Follow pie recipe for dividing and refrigerating dough. *Alcohol forms less gluten (the protein in flour that can create tough dough) than water, so using half flavorless vodka will yield tender, easy-to-roll dough and an extra flaky crust.
From the Test Kitchen
For more control over the crimping, you can substitute 4 tablespoons of the butter with very cold vegetable shortening.
Nutrition Facts (Spiced Plum Pie)
- Per serving:
- 421 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 67 mg chol.,
- 364 mg sodium,
- 59 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 34 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet