Spearmint Whoopie Pies with White Chocolate-Mascarpone
- Prepare and chill White Chocolate-Mascarpone Filling.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, vanilla, and mint extract until combined. Alternately add flour and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Stir in desired amount of green food coloring. If necessary, cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Pipe or spread a thick layer of filling on bottoms of half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies, bottom sides down. If desired, roll edges of whoopie pies in crushed candies.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer sandwich cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
White Chocolate-Mascarpone Filling
- In a heavy small saucepan, combine white baking chocolate (with cocoa butter) and whipping cream. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate nearly melts. Remove from heat; stir until smooth. Cool for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine mascarpone cheese and butter. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in the cooled white chocolate mixture. Chill about 30 minutes or until firm enough to pipe.
Nutrition Facts (Spearmint Whoopie Pies with White Chocolate-Mascarpone)
- Per serving:
- 169 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 22 mg chol.,
- 78 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 20 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet