Spaghetti with Seared Asparagus
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; set aside.
- In a deep 12-inch skillet heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add asparagus; cook 5 minutes or until almost tender and beginning to blister, stirring occasionally. (Butter will turn golden brown.) Add garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes, until garlic is golden and asparagus is blistered.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add hazelnuts and panko. Cook 8 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; transfer to a bowl. Stir in cheese.
- Add spaghetti, lemon juice, peppercorns, and salt to skillet with asparagus; toss to combine. Add enough reserved cooking liquid to reach desired consistency. Sprinkle with half the panko mixture; toss again. Top with remaining panko mixture. If desired, drizzle with hazelnut oil. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes 6 servings. *Tip: To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake 10 minutes or until golden, stirring once. Transfer to a kitchen towel. Rub to remove skins.
From the Test Kitchen
To toast hazelnuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake about 10 minutes or until slightly golden, stirring once. Place warm nuts on a clean kitchen towel. Rub the nuts with the towel to remove the loose skins.
Nutrition Facts (Spaghetti with Seared Asparagus)
- Per serving:
- 305 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 254 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.