Southwestern Stuffed Roasted Peppers
large red, yellow, and/or orange sweet peppers
tablespoon olive oil*
ounces fresh peeled and deveined shrimp, chopped; skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces; and/or bulk pork sausage
cup frozen whole kernel corn
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cups corn bread stuffing mix
cup chicken broth
4 ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained
10 ounce container refrigerated Alfredo pasta sauce
tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place whole sweet peppers on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium-high heat. Grill for 13 to 15 minutes or until charred and very tender, turning occasionally. Wrap peppers in foil. Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, for stuffing, in a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add shrimp, chicken, and/or sausage; corn; and onion; cook until shrimp is opaque, chicken is no longer pink, and/or sausage is brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in stuffing mix and broth; cook just until broth is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in half of the green chile peppers.
- Using a sharp knife, loosen edges of skins from grilled sweet peppers; gently peel off skins in strips and discard. Brush peppers with oil. Cut each pepper in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Spoon stuffing into pepper halves. Return to grill. Grill about 5 minutes more or until heated through.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan combine Alfredo sauce and the remaining green chile peppers. Cook over medium heat until heated through. Spoon sauce over stuffed peppers. Sprinkle with cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Omit oil if using sausage.
Nutrition Facts(Southwestern Stuffed Roasted Peppers)
- Per serving:
- 383 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 119 mg chol.,
- 1417 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet