Yellow Pepper Soup with Yogurt and Cucumbers
cup plain low-fat yogurt (do not use fat-free)
teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
tablespoons olive oil
cups coarsely chopped yellow sweet peppers (4 medium)
cup chopped shallots (2 medium)
teaspoon ground cardamom
14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
tablespoons cider vinegar
cup coarsely chopped cucumber
Freshly ground black or white pepper
- In a small bowl combine the yogurt and fennel seed. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook and stir the sweet peppers, shallots, and cardamom in the hot oil about 15 minutes or until peppers are just beginning to soften. Add chicken broth, water, and vinegar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. In a blender container or food processor bowl, blend or process the mixture, half at a time, until smooth. Return all soup to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through.
- To serve, ladle blended soup into individual bowls. Top with a dollop of yogurt mixture, some of the cucumber, and black pepper. Can be served warm or chilled. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Yellow Pepper Soup with Yogurt and Cucumbers)
- Per serving:
- 154 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 8 mg chol.,
- 284 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet