tablespoon olive oil
large onion, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
14 ounce can chicken broth
medium tomatoes, chopped
19 ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
medium fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken
medium zucchini, chopped
10 ounce package frozen green beans
cup dried orzo pasta or other small pasta
Shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Stir in chicken broth, water, tomatoes, cannellini beans, fennel, thyme, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in turkey, zucchini, green beans and orzo pasta. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes more or until pasta is tender. Remove bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, prepare Pistou. Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with Pistou and, if desired, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Pistou as directed. Transfer to an airtight container and chill for up to 24 hours.
cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves (about 2-1/2 ounces)
tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
tablespoons olive oil
cloves garlic, halved
- In a food processor or blender, combine basil leaves, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and garlic. Cover and process or blend until finely chopped. Add enough additional olive oil to thin mixture to desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts(Turkey-Vegetable Soup)
- Per serving:
- 215 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 23 mg chol.,
- 848 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet