- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 12 baby artichokes
- 6 cups chicken broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup small boiling onions, peeled and halved, or pearl onions
- 4 ounces pancetta or 5 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked* or canned fava or lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 ounces fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium fennel bulb, chopped
- 1/4 cup snipped fennel leaves
1. Remove tough outer green leaves from artichokes. The inside leaves will be more tender and greenish-yellow. Snip off about 1 inch from the leaf tops, cutting where the green meets the yellow. Trim the stems. Quarter the artichokes lengthwise; set aside.
2. Combine broth, onions, pancetta or bacon, fennel seed, and pepper in a 4-quart Dutch oven; bring to boiling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add artichokes and beans; cook for 5 minutes. Add asparagus and fennel; cook for 5 minutes more or till vegetables are tender.
3. To serve, ladle into soup bowls. Top with snipped fennel leaves. Makes 8 side-dish servings or 4 main-dish servings.
- To cook fresh or frozen fava or lima beans, simmer, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 15 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool slightly. When cool, remove skins from fava beans. For 2 cups of cooked fava beans, purchase 2 pounds of fava beans in the pod.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 152,
- Fat, total (g) 3,
- chol. (mg) 4,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 21,
- fiber (g) 6,
- pro. (g) 11,
- vit. C (mg) 17,
- sodium (mg) 695,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Vegetables () 1,
- Lean Meat () 1,
- Fat () 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet