Spring Pea Soup
cups shelled peas
14 ounce can chicken broth
small heads Boston or Bibb lettuce, torn into small pieces
green onions, sliced
tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon
cups half-and-half, light cream, or milk
slices French bread, toasted
ounces prosciutto, cut into thin strips
cup crumbled feta cheese
Fresh tarragon sprigs (optional)
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine peas and broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 6 minutes. Add lettuce and green onions. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 4 to 6 minutes more or until peas are tender. If desired, use a slotted spoon to remove 1/3 cup peas; reserve for garnish. Stir in tarragon. Cool slightly.
- Transfer one-fourth of the soup to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth. Repeat with remaining soup, blending or processing one-fourth at a time. Return all of the soup to Dutch oven. Stir in half-and-half to reach desired consistency; heat through. Do not boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each serving with a slice of French bread, some prosciutto, and some feta cheese. If desired, garnish each serving with reserved peas and a tarragon sprig.
- Makes 6 servings (8 cups)
Nutrition Facts(Spring Pea Soup)
- Per serving:
- 341 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 36 mg chol.,
- 1120 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet