- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 3 1/2 pounds potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow or red sweet pepper (1 medium)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled roasted minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 8 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, half-and-half, or light cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion (4)
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine potato, sweet pepper, garlic, and black pepper. Stir in broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until potato is tender.
2. Use a potato masher to mash potatoes slightly. Stir in bacon, 1-1/2 cups of the cheese, the whipping cream, and green onion; heat through. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with sour cream and remaining cheese. Makes 8 main-dish servings.
- Prepare as above, except substitute 1-1/2 cups chopped, cooked ham for the bacon.
- Prepare as above, except substitute shredded carrot for the sweet pepper. Add one 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans) or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained, after mashing the potatoes. Substitute 2 teaspoons dried dill for the green onion.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 329,
- Fat, total (g) 18,
- chol. (mg) 57,
- sat. fat (g) 11,
- carb. (g) 31,
- fiber (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 12,
- sodium (mg) 798,
- Potassium (mg) 857,
- calcium (mg) 252,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet