ounces skinless cusk (ocean catfish) or cod fillets, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
fresh or frozen clams in shells
medium potatoes, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
12 ounce can whole kernel corn with sweet peppers, drained
14 1/2 ounce can stewed tomatoes
cup chicken or vegetable broth
teaspoon garlic powder
tablespoon snipped fresh parsley or thyme
- Thaw fish and clams, if frozen. Rinse fish. Cut fish into 1-inch pieces. Set fish aside.
- In a large bowl combine 2 quarts of the water and 3 tablespoons of the salt; add clams. Let clams soak for 15 minutes; drain and rinse. Discard the soaking water. Repeat soaking, draining, and rinsing clams two more times with the remaining water and salt.
- For stew, in a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine potatoes, corn, undrained tomatoes, chicken or vegetable broth, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fish and clams. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork and clams open. Spoon into bowls. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or thyme. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Seafood Stew)
- Per serving:
- 231 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 37 mg chol.,
- 846 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet