ounces fresh or frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails intact
ounces fresh or frozen scallops
pound tiny red potatoes, cut into halves or quarters
ounces fresh mussels in shells (8 to 12)
medium fennel bulb
cup finely chopped onion (1 large)
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoon vegetable oil
cups vegetable broth
cups finely chopped roma tomatoes (4 to 5 medium)
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
teaspoon saffron threads
teaspoon cayenne pepper
ounces white firm-flesh fish, such as cod, cut into 1-inch pieces
recipe Garlic-Parmesan Croutons
- Thaw shrimp and scallops, if frozen; cut up any large scallops. In a large saucepan cook potatoes in a large amount of boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes or just until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain; set aside. Scrub mussels under cold running water. Using your fingers, pull out beards visible between mussel shells; discard. In a large bowl combine 2 cups water and 3 tablespoons salt; soak mussels for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly; drain. Repeat two more times with fresh water and salt. Drain and rinse mussels thoroughly.
- Cut off and discard stalks from fennel bulb half. If desired, reserve wispy fronds. Finely chop fronds; set aside. Remove and discard any wilted outer layers; cut a thin slice from base of bulb half; discard. Cut bulb half in half lengthwise. Cut core out of each piece; discard. Finely chop fennel bulb.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven cook and stir fennel, onion, and garlic in hot oil until tender. Carefully stir broth, tomatoes, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, the lemon peel, saffron threads, and cayenne pepper into Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; add potatoes, shrimp, scallops, and fish. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until mussel shells open. Discard any mussels that don't open. Ladle soup into bowls; top each serving with Garlic-Parmesan Croutons. If desired, garnish with reserved chopped fennel fronds.
cups firm-textured bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
tablespoons garlic-flavored olive oil, or olive oil
tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl combine bread, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and ground black pepper. Toss to combine. Spread cubes into prepared pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden, stirring once or twice. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts(Seafood Bouillabaisse)
- Per serving:
- 318 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 97 mg chol.,
- 1216 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 29 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet