Rosemary Potato Soup with Crispy Carrots
medium russet or white potatoes (1 to 1 1/2 lb.), peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks
teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
cup vegetable oil
medium carrots, peeled, then cut in ribbons with a vegetable peeler
Kosher salt or salt
Coarse ground black pepper
- In a 4- or 5- quart Dutch oven melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent but not brown. Add potatoes, 2 cups of the water, and rosemary. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from heat.
- With a potato masher, mash potatoes until no lumps remain. Or for a smoother soup, transfer soup, a portion at a time, to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth. Return all to Dutch oven. Add remaining 2 cups of water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes more or until thickened and desired consistency, stirring frequently to prevent soup from sticking to bottom of pan.
- While soup is simmering, in a 10-inch skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrot ribbons a few at a time to hot oil. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until crisp. Transfer to a cooling rack or paper towels; immediately sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Ladle soup into bowls, then top with crisp carrots and a sprinkle of coarse pepper.
Nutrition Facts(Rosemary Potato Soup with Crispy Carrots)
- Per serving:
- 236 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 5 mg chol.,
- 313 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet