Upload your photo here.
Roasted Squash Soup
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Split squash in half lengthwise. With spoon, scrape out seeds and fibers from cavity. Season cut side of squash with 1 tsp. salt; place flesh side down in a lightly buttered baking dish or a 15x10x1-inch baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Add in 1/2 cup water to baking pan. Bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours, until skin is browned and flesh is tender when pierced with knife. Remove from oven; let rest until cool enough to handle. Scoop out flesh; discard skin.
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat butter until foaming. Add diced onion and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle thyme over onions. Add bay leaf. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the onions are tender and translucent (do not allow to color), about 10 minutes.
- Add squash. Season with additional salt and pepper. Cooking 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add broth; bring to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste. Remove bay leaf. Stir in honey. Cool slightly. Puree soup, one half at a time, in blender or food processor.
- Stir in 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg. Taste for seasoning, add salt, pepper, and honey as needed. Cool slightly. Transfer to a storage container; cover and chill up to 2 days.
From the Test Kitchen
To reheat soup:
Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. Drizzle with remaining cream and sprinkle with remaining nutmeg.
To serve right away:
Omit chilling-just reheat after pureeing; drizzle with cream and sprinkle with nutmeg after heating through.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Squash Soup)
- Per serving:
- 188 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 28 mg chol.,
- 716 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet