Roasted Corn and Pepper Soup
16 ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
tablespoon cooking oil
cups chopped onions
cups seeded and coarsely chopped red sweet peppers
14 ounce can chicken broth (7-1/4 cups)
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon ground red pepper
cup whipping cream
cup cooked crabmeat, cut into bite-size pieces, cartilage removed (4 ounces)
Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- Thaw frozen corn and pat dry with paper towels. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; use a little of the cooking oil to lightly grease the pan.
- Spread corn in prepared pan. Roast, uncovered, in a 450 degree F oven for 10 minutes; stir. Continue to roast about 10 minutes more until golden brown, stirring once or twice. Remove pan from oven and set aside.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, cook onions and sweet peppers in remaining oil over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until nearly tender. Add the corn, 3 cans of the broth (about 5-1/2 cups), thyme, and ground red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- In a screw-top jar combine remaining 1 can chicken broth and the flour; cover and shake well. Add to soup; cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir whipping cream into soup; heat through.
- To serve, ladle soup into 12 soup bowls. Divide crabmeat among bowls. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme sprigs. Makes 12 side-dish servings.
- Prepare soup as directed, except after simmering soup for 15 minutes, cool, cover, and refrigerate soup mixture up to 2 days. When ready to serve, reheat mixture, thicken with flour, and add cream. Serve as above.
Nutrition Facts(Roasted Corn and Pepper Soup)
- Per serving:
- 133 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 22 mg chol.,
- 496 mg sodium,
- 14 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet