Roasted Corn and Crab Soup
- Thaw frozen corn and pat dry with paper towels. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; lightly grease the foil.
- Spread corn in prepared pan. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 10 minutes; stir. Bake about 10 minutes more until golden brown, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven; set aside.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook onion and sweet pepper in hot oil over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until nearly tender. Add the roasted corn, 3 cans of the chicken broth, thyme, and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- In a large screw-top jar combine remaining 1 can chicken broth and the flour. Cover and shake well; stir into soup. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in half-and-half; heat through.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls; divide crabmeat among bowls.
- Makes 6 servings (8 1/2 cups)
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except do not add crabmeat. Cool soup; cover and chill for up to 2 days. To serve, reheat soup. Ladle into bowls and divide crabmeat among servings.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Corn and Crab Soup)
- Per serving:
- 229 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 907 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet