- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 large red sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 16 ounce tub refrigerated cooked polenta
- 6 tablespoons purchased pesto or olive tapenade
- Fresh basil sprigs (optional)
1. In a large skillet, cook ground beef until brown. Drain off fat. Transfer meat to a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in undrained tomatoes, carrots, onions, sweet pepper, broth, salt, black pepper, and garlic.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.
3. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in zucchini. Cover and cook about 30 minutes more or until zucchini is crisp-tender.
4. Meanwhile, prepare polenta according to package directions. Serve meat mixture over polenta. Top individual servings with pesto. If desired, garnish with basil. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 388,
- Fat, total (g) 20,
- chol. (mg) 50,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 30,
- fiber (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 20,
- sodium (mg) 773,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet