Polenta with Ground Beef Ragout
pound lean ground beef
14 1/2 ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
medium onions, cut into thin wedges
large red sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
cup beef broth
teaspoon ground black pepper
cloves garlic, minced
medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
16 ounce tube refrigerated cooked polenta
tablespoons purchased pesto or olive tapenade
Fresh basil sprigs (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef until brown. Drain off fat. Transfer meat to a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in undrained tomatoes, carrots, onions, sweet pepper, broth, salt, black pepper, and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in zucchini. Cover and cook about 30 minutes more or until zucchini is crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare polenta according to package directions. Serve meat mixture over polenta. Top individual servings with pesto. If desired, garnish with basil. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Polenta with Ground Beef Ragout)
- Per serving:
- 388 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 50 mg chol.,
- 773 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet