- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes, cut up
- 2 cups loose-pack frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots
- 1 15 ounce can or 15-1/2-ounce jar pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
1. In a large saucepan cook sausage, mushrooms, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat.
2. Stir in undrained tomatoes, frozen vegetables, pizza sauce, tomato juice, oregano, and fennel seed. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, sprinkle toasted bread with mozzarella cheese. Place bread under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
4. To serve, ladle the sausage mixture into bowls. Top each serving with a slice of toasted bread. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 380,
- Fat, total (g) 16,
- chol. (mg) 43,
- sat. fat (g) 6,
- carb. (g) 40,
- pro. (g) 20,
- sodium (mg) 1529,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet