- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut in 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 - 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels or one 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes, cut up
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 2 cups chopped, peeled celery root, or 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1. In a large plastic bag, combine cornmeal, salt, black pepper, and thyme. Add half of the meat cubes; shake to coat.
2. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat; add coated meat cubes and cook until browned on all sides. Remove meat from pan. Repeat with remaining meat and cornmeal mixture, adding remaining oil, if necessary. Return all meat to Dutch oven; add garlic. Cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 hour or until meat is almost tender.
3. Add corn, undrained tomatoes, chickpeas, celery root, onion, jalapeno peppers, and chipotle pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender. Makes 6 servings.
- Brown meat as above, adding garlic with second half of meat. In a 3-1/2, 4-, or 5-quart electric crockery cooker, place corn, chickpeas, celery root, onion, and jalapeno peppers. Add browned beef. Sprinkle with any leftover cornmeal mixture. Using only 1/4 cup water, combine water with tomatoes and chipotle pepper. Pour over beef. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours. (Or, cook on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.) Stir before serving.
- Jalapeno peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, so avoid direct contact as much as possible when working with them. Wear plastic bags over your hands or wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands touch the peppers, wash hands well with soap and warm water.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 471,
- Fat, total (g) 21,
- chol. (mg) 73,
- sat. fat (g) 6,
- carb. (g) 42,
- fiber (g) 8,
- pro. (g) 30,
- sodium (mg) 962,
- Vegetables () 2,
- Starch () 2,
- Lean Meat () 3,
- Fat () 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet