- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 medium onions, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
- 2 14 1/2 ounce can chicken or beef broth
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 small head fennel, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced, or 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch thick (1 cup)
- 1/2 9 ounce package frozen Italian-style green beans or cut green beans
- 3/4 cup packaged dried tiny bow ties, small shells, or other small pasta
- 1/2 cup diced prosciutto or fully cooked ham (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large Dutch oven or kettle cook onions, celery, carrot, garlic, and crushed red pepper in hot olive oil or cooking oil until onion is tender.
2. Stir in the chicken or beef broth, undrained tomatoes, tomato juice, fennel or cabbage, and Italian seasoning. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Stir in the cannellini or great northern beans, zucchini, green beans, pasta, and prosciutto or ham. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender.
4. To serve, ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 5 main-dish servings.
- Cool soup. Cover and chill up to 48 hours. Reheat over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Servings Per Recipe 5,
- cal. (kcal) 368,
- Fat, total (g) 12,
- chol. (mg) 4,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 48,
- pro. (g) 20,
- sodium (mg) 1176,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet