Minestrone with Fennel and Ham
- In a large Dutch oven or kettle cook onions, celery, carrot, garlic, and crushed red pepper in hot olive oil or cooking oil until onion is tender.
- Stir in the chicken or beef broth, undrained tomatoes, tomato juice, fennel or cabbage, and Italian seasoning. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cannellini or great northern beans, zucchini, green beans, pasta, and prosciutto or ham. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 5 main-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Cool soup. Cover and chill up to 48 hours. Reheat over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Nutrition Facts (Minestrone with Fennel and Ham)
- Per serving:
- 368 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 4 mg chol.,
- 1176 mg sodium,
- 48 g carb.,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet