- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 2 14 1/2ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 9 ounce packages fresh spinach or 1-1/4 pounds fresh spinach, washed and trimmed
- 2 cups watercress, tough stems removed
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved
- 2 small tomatoes, quartered, seeded, and thinly sliced
1. In 4-quart Dutch oven cook onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning in hot butter over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
2. If using sherry, remove Dutch oven from heat; slowly pour in sherry. Return to heat; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth and potato. Bring to boiling. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from heat.
3. Set aside 2 cups of the spinach. Stir remaining spinach, half at a time, into soup just until wilted. Cook about 5 minutes.
4. Transfer soup, half at a time, to a food processor or blender; cover and process or blend until smooth. Return to Dutch oven; heat through. Season with salt.
5. To serve, top with reserved spinach, watercress, Parmesan, and tomatoes.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 151,
- Fat, total (g) 7,
- chol. (mg) 18,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 16,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 2,
- fiber (g) 4,
- sugar (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 8,
- vit. A (IU) 8600,
- vit. C (mg) 38,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 3,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 181,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 881,
- Potassium (mg) 784,
- calcium (mg) 232,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet