- In a large saucepan, cook onion in hot oil 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic; cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Stir in squash, chicken broth, ginger, salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is very tender. Cool slightly.
- Transfer one-third of the soup mixture to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Repeat with remaining soup. Return mixture to saucepan; heat through.
- Ladle soup into bowls. If deisred, top with chopped apples.
From the Test Kitchen
*TEST KITCHEN TIP:
If using vegetable broth, omit the salt.
Nutrition Facts (Ginger-Squash Soup)
- Per serving:
- 122 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 772 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet