Celebrate a most welcome hue of the season with this creamy pureed soup recipe flavored with green onions, watercress, and tarragon.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Yields: 8 side-dish servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cool: 15 mins
- Cook: 23 mins
pounds russet potatoes (3 medium), peeled, cut in 1-inch pieces
cups sliced green onions (2 to 3 bunches)
cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
cups watercress (about 3 bunches), tough stems removed, or fresh baby spinach leaves
tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon
cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
cup dairy sour cream (optional)
- In 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven cook potatoes and onion in hot butter over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are tender but not brown, stirring occasionally. Add 6 cups broth; bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the watercress; return broth to simmering. Simmer, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes, until greens are tender. Remove soup from heat; cool 15 minutes. Stir in tarragon. Puree soup using immersion blender or in batches using a blender.
- Stir wine or broth into soup; season with salt and pepper. Heat through over low heat. If desired, top servings with sour cream. Makes 8 side-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Garden Soup)
- Per serving:
- 125 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 13 mg chol.,
- 617 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesDinner Recipes, Easter Recipes, Healthy Lunch Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Cholesterol Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Potato Recipes, Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes, Quick and Easy Recipes, Seasonal Recipes, Soup Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes, Vegetarian Soup and Chili Recipes