Celebrate a most welcome hue of the season with this creamy pureed soup recipe flavored with green onions, watercress, and tarragon.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Yields: 8 side-dish servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cool: 15 mins
- Cook: 23 mins
pounds russet potatoes (3 medium), peeled, cut in 1-inch pieces
cups sliced green onions (2 to 3 bunches)
cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
cups watercress (about 3 bunches), tough stems removed, or fresh baby spinach leaves
tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon
cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
cup dairy sour cream (optional)
- In 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven cook potatoes and onion in hot butter over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are tender but not brown, stirring occasionally. Add 6 cups broth; bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the watercress; return broth to simmering. Simmer, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes, until greens are tender. Remove soup from heat; cool 15 minutes. Stir in tarragon. Puree soup using immersion blender or in batches using a blender.
- Stir wine or broth into soup; season with salt and pepper. Heat through over low heat. If desired, top servings with sour cream. Makes 8 side-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Garden Soup)
- Per serving:
- 125 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 13 mg chol.,
- 617 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet