- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions (2 large)
- 2 14 ounce can beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1/2-inch slices French bread, toasted
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss, Gruyere, or Jarlsberg cheese
1. In a 3-quart saucepan melt butter. Add onion and cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 13 to 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Uncover saucepan; cook and stir onion over medium-high heat about 10 minutes more or until onion is golden. Stir in broth, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil; arrange bread slices on baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted, turning once. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese melts and is light brown.
4. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with a bread slice. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
- Prepare as above, except add 1 cup chopped cooked beef with the broth.
- Prepare as above, except add 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms to saucepan in Step 2 before adding broth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 15 minutes more or until onion is golden and mushrooms are tender. Continue as directed.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 306,
- Fat, total (g) 18,
- chol. (mg) 47,
- sat. fat (g) 11,
- carb. (g) 24,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 10,
- sodium (mg) 1023,
- Potassium (mg) 173,
- calcium (mg) 182,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet