French Onion Soup
- In a 3-quart saucepan melt butter. Add onion and cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 13 to 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover saucepan; cook and stir onion over medium-high heat about 10 minutes more or until onion is golden. Stir in broth, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil; arrange bread slices on baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted, turning once. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese melts and is light brown.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with a bread slice. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
French Onion Soup with Beef:
Prepare as above, except add 1 cup chopped cooked beef with the broth.
French Onion Soup with Mushrooms:
Prepare as above, except add 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms to saucepan in Step 2 before adding broth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 15 minutes more or until onion is golden and mushrooms are tender. Continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts (French Onion Soup)
- Per serving:
- 306 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 47 mg chol.,
- 1023 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet