Farmer's Market Vegetable Soup
of a small rutabaga, peeled and chopped (2 cups)
large roma tomatoes, chopped
medium carrots or parsnips, chopped
large red-skinned potato, chopped
medium leeks, chopped
14 ounce can vegetable broth
teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
teaspoon dried sage, crushed
cup dried bow-tie pasta
cups torn fresh spinach
recipe Garlic Toasts (see recipe, below; optional)
- Combine rutabaga, tomatoes, carrots, potato, and leeks in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Add vegetable broth, fennel seeds, sage, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Stir cooked pasta and spinach into soup mixture. Ladle into bowls and serve with Garlic Toasts.
1/2 inch slices baguette-style French bread
tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil
teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler. Brush both sides of bread slices with oil. Arrange on a baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 1 minute. Turn; sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes more or until light brown.
Nutrition Facts(Farmer's Market Vegetable Soup)
- Per serving:
- 198 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 1313 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 14 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet