Cream of Vegetable Soup
- Makes: 4 servings
- Yields: 4-1/2 cups
- Start to Finish: 25 mins
Cream of Vegetable Soup
- In a large saucepan cook desired vegetable, covered, in a large amount of boiling water according to directions in each variation. Drain well. Set aside 1 cup cooked vegetables.
- In a food processor combine the remaining cooked vegetables and 3/4 cup of the chicken broth. Cover and process about 1 minute or until smooth. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour, seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Stir in the reserved 1 cup cooked vegetables, blended vegetable mixture, and remaining 3/4 cup broth. Cook and stir until heated through. If necessary, stir in additional milk to reach desired consistency. If desired, season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Makes 4 servings (4-1/2 cups).
From the Test Kitchen
Cream of Broccoli-Cheese Soup:
Cook 4 cups fresh or loose-pack frozen chopped broccoli as directed in Step 1 for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Reserve 1 cup of broccoli. Process remaining broccoli as directed in Step 2. Use 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning in Step 3. Stir in 1/2 cup shredded American cheese with the blended vegetable mixture in Step 4. If desired, top each serving with additional shredded American cheese.
Cream of Potato Soup:
Cook 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed, and 1/2 cup chopped onion as directed in Step 1 about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Reserve 1 cup of potato-onion mixture. Process remaining mixture as directed in Step 2, except use all of the broth. Use 1/4 teaspoon dried dill or basil, crushed, in Step 3.
Cream of Cauliflower-Cheese Soup:
Cook 4 cups fresh or loose-pack frozen cauliflower florets as directed in Step 1 for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Reserve 1 cup cauliflower florets. Process remaining cauliflower florets as directed in Step 2. Use 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds in Step 3. Stir in 1/2 cup shredded American cheese along with the blended vegetable mixture in Step 4. If desired, top each serving with additional shredded American cheese.
Nutrition Facts (Cream of Vegetable Soup)
- Per serving:
- 236 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 13 mg chol.,
- 509 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet