- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 10 ounce package frozen sliced okra
- 1 6 ounce can crabmeat
- 1/2 cup diced turkey ham
- 1 tablespoon file powder (optional)
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
1. In a large saucepan cook green pepper, green onion, and garlic in hot oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in chicken broth, water, tomatoes, thyme, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling. Stir in okra; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until okra is tender.
2. Meanwhile, drain, flake, and remove cartilage from crabmeat. Stir crabmeat and turkey ham into gumbo. Heat through. Stir in file powder, if desired.
3. To serve, divide gumbo among four soup bowls. Top each with one-fourth of the rice. Makes 4 servings.
- Prepare gumbo; cool slightly. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. Reheat over medium heat, stirring frequently. Serve as above.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 242,
- Fat, total (g) 6,
- chol. (mg) 41,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 33,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 16,
- sodium (mg) 627,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet