Clam Chowder with Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
pints shucked clams or three 6.5-ounce cans minced clams
slices bacon, halved crosswise
cups chopped onions (3 medium)
cup finely chopped celery (3 stalks)
cup dry white wine
cups chopped, peeled potatoes (3 large)
teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
teaspoons snipped fresh thyme
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon crushed red pepper
cups whipping cream
cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or Parmesan cheese (3 ounces)
Snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley (optional)
Shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or Parmesan cheese (optional)
- If using, chop fresh clams, reserving juice; set clams aside. Strain clam juice to remove bits of shell. (Or drain canned clams, reserving the juice.) If necessary, add enough water to the reserved clam juice to make 1-1/2 cups total liquid; set aside.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble bacon and set aside. Add onions and celery to bacon drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in wine; bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the reserved clam juice, potatoes, bouillon granules, thyme, black pepper, and crushed red pepper into Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. With the back of a fork, mash potatoes slightly against side of pan.
- In a medium bowl stir together milk, whipping cream, and flour; add to potato mixture. Bring to a simmer; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in clams and the 3/4 cup cheese. Reduce heat. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through and cheese is melted. Sprinkle each serving with crumbled bacon and, if desired, parsley and additional cheese.
Nutrition Facts(Clam Chowder with Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese)
- Per serving:
- 438 kcal cal.,
- 27 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 113 mg chol.,
- 583 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet